Monday, March 22, 2010

Let it Grow....Time to plan out that veggie garden

Ah the start of spring!!!!!

One of the most exciting facets of contemporary landscape is the renewed interest in growing your own food. Many residential, resort/hotel and even some commercial projects include areas set aside for vegetables and fruit. The next couple posts will focus on growing food, how growing your own food has an impact on the environment and how this all plays a very important part in Contemporary Landscape.

The first day of spring arrived this weekend and with it warmer temps here in Northern California. As it seems every year at this time I started thinking about my vegetable garden. The first warm days of spring have a way of waking me up from winter and immediately inspiring me to plant the years veggie garden. After years of experience though I know to take things slowly. Those first warm days that can get you thinking not only of veggies but sunscreen, taking out the outdoor furniture and even the beach can quickly be replaced by cool nights or a late season cold front bringing rains. The soil needs to warm first before sowing the seeds or setting out those transplants. I will wait a couple more weeks before doing either of those. That didn't stop me from getting out there and starting to turn the soil, clean up from the winter and start to think about this years crop. I encourage you to do the same. I will post some more about planning a veggie garden soon but I encourage you first and for most to think before you plant. Sounds simple but really...what do you want to grow? What will you and your family eat? What grows best in your area. What do you need to do to prep your veggie garden area for planting? While the threat of cold temps still lurks around the corner I will think and plan out my veggie garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment